Monday, February 23, 2009

My Wedding Jewelry - Seeds for SapphireGarden.com



In 1999, when I was preparing for my upcoming wedding, I became obsessed with finding some good blue topaz beads to create my wedding jewelry. Blue topaz seemed the perfect stone for my beach wedding. I looked high and low for months, baffled at how hard it was to find a nice large briolette and some pretty rondelles. I finally found what I needed, and as I usually do, spent more time and money getting my jewelry perfect than I did on my dress. I reasoned that the jewelry would be worn again, but the dress would not. I've never regretted that decision and wearing my wedding jewelry still brings back warm memories and feelings of the love I shared with my husband, friends, and family on that wonderful day.


Why am I blogging about my wedding jewelry? Many people ask me how I got started with SapphireGarden.com. The truth is that after I was married, I retired from a 16 year career of teaching art in Texas and began working in a jewelry store. I wish I could say I was a huge success in retail sales, but sadly, (or happily in my case) I wasn't. What I did get out of working in a jewelry store was contacts. As I was looking for a way out of that job, it occurred to me that if I had searched so diligently to find good gemstone beads, perhaps other people might be searching as well. On my 40th birthday, my husband went with me to look at beads. We walked away that day with $1,500 worth of gems and my business was born. I was scared to death. Well, you all know the ending to this story...here I am 6 years later blogging about Sapphire Garden.


I love my job...I never would have dreamed that all those years obsessed with gems would become a career for me, but happily, it did. I have wonderful customers who make marvelous things and I get to play with sparkly gems. Life may not be perfect, but it's pretty darn good.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous set. I am haing so much fun creating little pieces with the gems I purchased from you. Being a sculptor I use clay most of the time so this diversion into jewelry has been so much fun! I'd love to see more of your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! What a great story thank you for sharing ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comments on my blog! And your wedding jewelry is GORGEOUS. I wish I had known about Etsy when I got married!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing!love this story!I remember the first time I learned about sapphire garden was two years ago, when I was searching for gemstones online.They were too expensive for me that time but I remembered the name of the website because it's so unique.
    -mollie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a repeat customer of Sapphire Gardens and I absolutely love the gemstones. The quality is superb.

    The customer service? Awesome! :) They make buying so fun.

    - Carina -

    ReplyDelete