Friday, February 20, 2009

A New Idea for Bead Storage

Are you looking for the perfect way to store all your beads? Over the years, I've tried many different methods of storing my beads. Over the last two years, I've settled on a set up that works great for me.

First, my beading table is quite long and narrow. This enables me to spread out, and still be able to easily reach beads that are stored on the wall. My table is created out of a long length of plywood. The edges are sealed with iron on wooden banding that matches the surface. The whole thing was then stained in a nice dark color. This plywood rests on two small cabinets that were purchased at the office supply store, which store lesser used tools and materials.



On the wall in front of my beading table, I have hung several inexpensive magnetic boards. These boards are home to small, shallow,
clear topped containers with magnets.
Almost all my bead treasures live inside these containers. The containers come in several sizes to hold various size beads and components.

The advantages to this system are several. All the beads are clearly visible. This sparks design ideas, and insures that no beads are hidden from view and consequently, forgotten. Looking at these boards, it's effortless to come up with new design ideas, bead combinations and colors can be moved around and grouped on the boards at my whim. When I'm actually ready to start a project, I just pull down exactly the beads I want to use and line them up. It's a wonderfully fluid system which I find conducive to creative designs.

The photo above was taken over a year ago and since that time, I've added more boards and also lowered the boards to just slightly above the tabletop so that they are easier to reach while seated.

Do you have a special way of storing your beads? If you do, I'd love to see pictures. You are welcome to post your comments and suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. This is a GREAT idea for setting up beads! I am in the process of trying to move my little beading station, and I'm definitely going to try this out. Thanks for posting this idea and the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope it works as well for you as it does for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new blog is such fun, with helpful information. This morning I enjoyed coffee, as I clicked to the new opals. Beautiful! Thank~you dear Saphire Garden for your continued effort to bring us the best in gemstones!

    ReplyDelete